Character Development and Sexual Orientation in Your Story - By Sean Michael Paquet

Hello everyone so here was an odd question I was asked when I revealed that the main character in my second novel “The Jarl’s Shadow” (work in progress) was female. The very first question I got asked was “Wow! Is she LGBT?” Ok folks. No, Amra Raynecksdottir does not identify with a sexual orientation. She is a human weapon with a lot of childhood childhood trauma that was resolved by embracing her dark side. Her Shadow Self.

Now as far as identifying sexual orientation in stories. I do what feels like the right thing to do for the character. So far I have not seen a need to put a sexual orientation to any character. I feel that such things are perceived already based on the characters themselves. Now this is my opinion only so I apologize if it offends some people: a persons sexual orientation is a rather small facet of the overall human self. Some authors choose to make a big deal out of it and in some cases that is very necessary for story progression. It all depends on the story. Just like it all depends on the person in real life. Some people choose to define themselves by their sexual orientation. Some people do not. I have some friends who are what would be termed as “overtly oriented”. Or perhaps a more archaic term would be to say they are “flamboyant” in their sexual preference. Nothing wrong with that. I also have some friends that you wouldn’t know they were LGBT to look at them or to discern from their behavior. Nothing wrong with that either. Everyone is different. Will I ever write about a character who is LGBT? Not sure. Not because I have a problem with it; I just haven’t seen a need for it yet. A thing to remember about character development: your characters are people, just like you and me. As such they are complicated, and multi-faceted. Concentrating on one specific facet of a person is not something I do in my writing or in how I observe people in real life. I take every person who comes into my life based on their merits as humans, not what gender they are attracted to. This works for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World Building in Science Fiction and Fantasy - By Sean Michael Paquet

What is Your Value - by Sean Michael Paquet

A Game of Gods Ebook Promotion - By Sean Michael Paquet